Monday, April 21, 2008

Woah! That's News To Me

Some things people can’t help are preconceived notions, whether they are cultural or social or even as simple as the predicted outcome of an idea. It’s just how humans naturally function so that we’re able to problem solve and determine the consequences of our actions. As I went out on drift one I had imagined finding all these amazing sounds I had apparently been to busy to notice, but the wasn’t the case at all. I struggled through the entire drift because I wanted the sounds I heard in my head. When I finally stopped searching, that’s when I was bombarded with an abundance of fantastic soundscapes. I understood then that natural sounds can not be manipulated, at least not during that stage of production. It would be nearly impossible to isolate any one sound among an ever long-lasting city orchestra. I was surprised to hear as much as had, only after I had stopped listening.

Did you know someone can call the cops on you if you do your homework? Yup, it happened to me, it’s crazy! Alright, so I’m on drift two, taking some photographs here and there, minding my own business. Suddenly, as I turn around from taking some shots of a telephone pole, a police car startles me with its siren. It turns out that some lady had seen a shady looking fellow walking suspiciously, taking pictures of homes. I was shocked. I mean I suppose I can understand her position, but one: I’m pretty young and well dress (for the most part) and two: does it not occur to her that there might be students in the area? Anyways, the cop, whom I right of the back gave attitude to, turned out to be genuinely interested in my project. His wife, turns out is also a photographer interested in the textures organic foods provide. Heh, who would’ve thought?

Near the beginning of my drift two I took a number of stills within a children’s miniature golf course. It was a pretty interesting location, granted it was abandon for the winter. I must have taken at least fifty different shots of golf lanes, holes and the space in general. However, during post production they all ended up on the cutting room floor. I concluded that the feelings the course evoked in me had simply not shown through the photo medium. It didn’t occur to me to shoot any video, since there would be no action occurring in the frame. Reflecting back now, a simple slow pan across the course would have worked perfectly. Even though I expected to but didn’t use this material for any of my drift two videos it has inspired a side project which I will be working on during the summer. No work ever goes wasted, just recycled.


No comments: